system hangs with all-generic-ide & irqpoll

David Scriven davidwriter at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 3 19:52:35 UTC 2007

> irqpoll is something you should only need on boxes with BIOS problems, so
> when irqpoll is required when irqpoll is required, it is sensible check for BIOS
> updates as you've done.

AFAIK, the problem with the Intel DG965 motherboards & the 965 Express
chipset has been there since the systems were released - using irqpoll &
all-generic-ide was the only way to install Fedora on them. The ide components
could only be accessed that way. Users who had a pure SATA system
were OK (although the sound system was only recently supported  by
the  1.0.13  release of alsa).  The problem is independent of the
type of hardware attached to the ide port - with the 'standard' kernel
options, ide components are not seen.

I was hoping that the latest release of the kernel (2.6.19-1.2985) would
detect the ide components without using the "all-generic-ide" & "irqpoll"
options, but alas, no - is this something for bugzilla?

I'd be interested to hear from users who have this motherboard
whether they have the same problems or have found other
workarounds.

Since Windows detects and operates everything perfectly, I
doubt that it is a problem with the motherboard or components,
but rather reflects the reality that there are relatively few
kernel programmers available to  support a wide range of equipment.

 > Drop a note to Arjan van de Ven <arjan at linux.intel.com>, he may be
> interested if its an Intel produced board and failing, as he is keeper of
> the Linux test kit for BIOS folks and the like.

Shall do