Partitions while installing FC6

Dave Stevens geek at uniserve.com
Sun Feb 4 01:27:28 UTC 2007

On Saturday 03 February 2007 15:59, Alex Miua wrote:
> Hi all!
>
> I am a newbie as you can make out from my posts. I
> wish to ask a question about installing FC6.
>
> I have Win XP with lots of free space, but no
> "unallocated space" . Which option should  I choose to
> allocate around 10 GB to linux.
>
> Please clarify as none of the options seemed to work.

If you have no unallocated space you need to either:

wipe out Windows and use the freed space (the whole partition at that point or
the whole disk in one big partition which is common in XP)
and then decide how much space to give to each part of Linux - the installer
will do a reasonable job if you take the defaults.

or

resize (shrink) an existing partition to free up some space and install Fedora
alongside XP, then pick at start up time which you want to use. This is
called "dual booting" The installer won't resize an XP partition but there
are programs that will.

If you say which way you'd like to go we can help some more.

Dave

--
"The economy is a wholly owned subsidiary of the environment."
   -- Herman Daly, former senior economist at the World Bank.