Dell's w/o OS - where?

Claude Jones claude_jones at levitjames.com
Sun Feb 4 03:29:48 UTC 2007

On Sat February 3 2007, Craig White wrote:
> as hardware systems go, Dell makes systems that are as cheap as any but
> they also offer better systems and I definitely think that the adage
> 'you get what you pay for applies' here.
>
> I have few complaints about Dell and they are easy enough to reach on
> the phone and get warranty repairs/parts and I haven't had any arguments
> with them about repairs which I think inures to their credit. Also to
> their credit, they have been extremely supportive to Linux - at least
> with support for SuSE and Red Hat software, moderate in support for
> Debian and interestingly enough, their software installs on CentOS
> without any trickery at all (i.e. having to
> 'doctor' /etc/redhat-release)
>
> Dell was strictly Intel until a few months ago and thus the market for
> the AMD based systems has somewhat escaped them. I gather by the reports
> that the newer Intel Duo-Core are in par if not outperforming the
> AMD-64's these days but I leave that assessment to others that are more
> knowledgeable about those things.
>
> Anyway, I think Dell has been an asset to Linux and all of their
> PowerEdge servers for several years now have been certified to work with
> Windows and Linux.
>
> BTW - Matt Domsch, Dell employee and author of dkms is also a member of
> Fedora Project Board of Directors <http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Board>

I'd have to mostly agree with all of the above. The issues I've had were with
lower end hardware, though still business machines. But, I was on a low
budget mission, and I didn't want to replace the Dell Optiplex's we're
retiring now with more of the same. To get the same features in a Dell that
I described in my earlier post re: the SuperMicro system we ordered, would
have cost us more than twice as much. It wasn't my call ultimately - the
decider chose to go with two systems for the price of one, which is about
what it worked out to.

--
Claude Jones
Brunswick, MD, USA