tetex FC6

Timothy Murphy tim at birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
Sun Feb 4 15:13:49 UTC 2007

Michael A. Peters wrote:

>> I don't think it is nearly as easy as you suggest
>> to replace teTeX by TeXLive.
>> In my view, it would be unwise for the OP to follow your advice.
>
> It is extremely easy for most users.
> The last version teTeX and TexLive 2004 were essentially the exact same
> thing with only the layout different.

That's nonsense, unless you can point me to a TeXLive rpm
that will replace the teTeX rpm that comes with Fedora.

"Most users", ie 95% of them, install the distribution version
of any software package,
and will not - rightly - take the trouble
to find out how to install the many bits of TeX/LaTeX.

I know there are unofficial TeXLive RPMs.
As and when somebody says they have removed teTeX,
and replaced it by one of these RPMs,
and everything works fine,
I for one will stick to the Fedora distribution of tetex.

And just to repeat myself -
I don't think the OPs problem had anything to do with teTeX.
It would be just as likely to arise with TeXLive -
in fact more likely, since TeXLive has not been tested with Fedora.

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366