Grub error 21

Marcel Janssen korgull at home.nl
Sun Feb 4 18:51:48 UTC 2007

Hi,

As many times before I installed Fedora in dual boot configuration, but today
I met a problem which I can't get fixed somehow.

I installed windowsXP on /dev/sda1 which is about 100GB large.
I installed Fedora core 6 /boot on /dev/sda2 which is 100MB ext3 partition.

The installation went fine although I get a strange message about Fedora
having an I/O problem on /dev/hdg (note, I only have one disk in the box and
that's a sata disk that is /dev/sda). I supposed /dev/hdg is my cardreader
that messes up something, but even after physically removing I still see this
error. Anyway, I just continued the installation and all seemed fine.

The problem is that when I rebooted I get grub presenting me an error 21.
Looking at the installation, the grub config files mention that it uses
(hd1,1) which is wrong I think.

I rebooted using the rescue disk and did :

grub> root (hd0,1)
(this shows it's Linux 83 partition, so I think it's correct)
grub> setup (hd0)
(this shows not errors so I assume everything is fine).

Unfortunately I still get error 21 at boot.
I also tried hd1,1 but grub mentions that this drive does not exist.

Since error 21 means that grub doesn't recognise the disk, I wonder why it
does recognise this when I boot into rescue mode.

Does anyone know how to find out what grub is doing and how to make it boot
well ?

Regards,
Marcel