Wieless security (was: Suspend bug)

Michael A. Peters mpeters at mac.com
Mon Feb 5 05:44:15 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-02-05 at 15:31 +1030, Tim wrote:

> MAC filtering is as useless as saying a password out loud to the doorman
> outside a busy street.  Anybody can hear you use it, then use the same
> details themselves.  That's how bad it is.

Heh - local community college started experimental wireless service in
the library. They had the password posted everywhere in range.

I asked them why bother with a password - why not just have a open
network?

The answer is funny - the college has a policy against open wireless
networks from before they offered any to students.

So they have to have a password and simply post what it is everywhere
until the policy changes.