FC6: slooow sendmail start after changing /etc/hosts

Rainer Traut tr.ml at gmx.de
Mon Feb 5 08:29:14 UTC 2007

Hi,

this is a problem which I see since a couple of fedora releases.
After fixing the /etc/hosts file sendmail starts very slow.
I usually took the easy way and deinstalled sendmail for postfix...

The sendmail init script runs newaliases and then sendmail, both tasks
start very slowly.

I did was fixing the faulty hosts file:

wrong:
127.0.0.1	zico	localhost localhost.localdomain

fixed:
127.0.0.1	localhost localhost.localdomain
172.27.0.101	zico

Vie tethereal -i lo I noticed the starting sendmail tries to lookup my
hostname 'zico' from dns (running bind locally) but fails and seems to
pause then.

I looked for any references in /etc/mail but there is no 'zico'.

So the question is, how to fix this?

Thx
Rainer