more ram added. How to adjust my system.

Gilboa Davara gilboad at gmail.com
Mon Feb 5 12:49:18 UTC 2007

Comments below.

> $ cat /proc/cpuinfo
> processor	: 0
> vendor_id	: GenuineIntel
> cpu family	: 15
> model		: 3
> model name	: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.40GHz
> stepping	: 4
> cpu MHz		: 3392.104
> cache size	: 1024 KB
> fdiv_bug	: no
> hlt_bug		: no
> f00f_bug	: no
> coma_bug	: no
> fpu		: yes
> fpu_exception	: yes
> cpuid level	: 5
> wp		: yes
> flags		: fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat
> pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe constant_tsc up pni
> monitor ds_cpl cid xtpr
> bogomips	: 6789.41

You -might- want to enable HT (hyper threading) in the machine's BIOS,
and test the performance.
Some applications get a nice 10-15% boost by enabling Hyper Threading.

> $ cat /proc/meminfo
> MemTotal:      3766248 kB
> MemFree:       1971752 kB
> Buffers:        201272 kB
> Cached:        1391400 kB
> SwapCached:          0 kB
> Active:         502552 kB
> Inactive:      1185580 kB
> HighTotal:     2883008 kB
> HighFree:      1388184 kB
> LowTotal:       883240 kB
> LowFree:        583568 kB
> SwapTotal:     1036152 kB
> SwapFree:      1036152 kB
> Dirty:             444 kB
> Writeback:           0 kB
> Mapped:         157152 kB
> Slab:            78032 kB
> CommitLimit:   2919276 kB
> Committed_AS:   370356 kB
> PageTables:       3648 kB
> VmallocTotal:   114680 kB
> VmallocUsed:     13856 kB
> VmallocChunk:   100340 kB
> HugePages_Total:     0
> HugePages_Free:      0
> HugePages_Rsvd:      0
> Hugepagesize:     4096 kB

By the looks of it, your machine is almost idle.
What it is used for?

Either way, switching to x86_64 should improve the performance somewhat.
(x86_64 doesn't require high-memory support - which should reduce the
over-head somewhat)

> $ cat /proc/swaps
> Filename				Type		Size	Used	Priority
> /dev/hda8                               partition	1036152	0	-1

1GB is more then enough (given the memory usage)

- Gilboa