Help with FC6 and Orinoco Gold pcmcia card

jim tate mickeyboa at sbcglobal.net
Mon Feb 5 16:43:10 UTC 2007

Christian Campbell wrote:
> Hello all.  After a frustrating weekend trying to get my Orinoco Gold
> pcmcia wireless card to load, I give up, and turn to you.  I know
> little about getting this card to work, but here is what I *do* know...
>
> -ifconfig doesn't show a wlan0 interface
> -dmesg shows it sees a card inserted (PC Card bus but nothing more)
> -iwconfig doesn't have any interfaces showing wireless extensions
> -a search of the file system shows the existence of orinoco.ko
> orinoco_cs.ko and hermes.ko
> -modprobe orinoco, modprobe orinoco_cs, and modprobe hermes doesn't
> seem to make a difference.
> -I assume I shouldn't need to compile any drivers as they seem to
> already be on the system (see above)
>
> Any walk-thru or advice would be appreciated.
>
> Regards,
>
> Christian
>

> Christian Campbell
> /Systems Engineer, Sair LCP, A+, Network+, i-Net+/
>
> Bruegger's Enterprises Inc.
> Desk: 802-652-9270
> Cell: 802-734-5023
> Fax: 802-660-4034
>
> Email: ccampbell at brueggers dot com
>
> PGP Public Key available via PGP keyservers or
> http://www2.brueggers.com/pgp/ccampbell.html
>
> "We all know Linux is great...
> it does infinite loops in 5 seconds."
> --Linus Torvalds

Do a /sbin/lsmod and see if you can see a 'orinoco_cs' driver.
Post /sbin/pccardctl ident
If you don't have the 'pccardctl' command, install the pcmciautils package.
Do you have a 80211 a/b or g type card? The 'a/b' card is what I use,
not sure how a 'g' card works
This is most unusal, because the Orinoco Gold card has worked
automattically in Fedora, I have three of them and
they are auto detected, no problems.

Jim