Can Evolution be used to access yahoo mail?

parishd parishd at gmail.com
Mon Feb 5 20:05:05 UTC 2007

On 2/5/07, parishd <parishd at gmail.com> wrote:
> <...snip> I, on the other hand, have discovered that although
> my incoming mail works fine, my outgoing smtp mail via gmail is not
> working.  I thought it was, but apparently I'd still been sending it
> out via pacbell.  So my settings in evolution are as described later
> in this thread, with the exception that I can't set the outgoing port,
> but I can't connect with the smtp server at gmail. I need to do a bit
> more troubleshooting...

Okay, the trick was to append the :port# to the server name (Doh!) but
interestingly this still didn't work at first.  Also, contrary to the
guides at gmail, I had to use SSL (not TSL) with login authentication.
 This still didn't work though until I tried using the server ip
address at which point I got an warning message about an out-of-date
SSL certificate.  I accepted the connection and was able to send the
email.  I then changed back to the server name and now I can still
send emails.  Don't really understand why this worked, but there you
go.

Daniel