Switching to KDM with FC6

Gueckel, P. gueckelp at telus.net
Mon Feb 5 21:01:50 UTC 2007

On February 5, 2007, Martin Marques wrote:
> On Mon, 5 Feb 2007, Mark Fraser wrote:
> > I tried to completely move over to KDM at the weekend - I think I was
> > just running KDE on top of GDM previously - by following the instructions
> > on this website (http://fedoranews.org/cms/node/1446).
> >
> > I think I've got most of it sorted, however, I'm still showing the
> > default log in screen instead of the KDE one and the Login Manager is
> > still the gnome one.
>
> All that has to be done is modify /etc/sysconfig/desktop and have the
> line:
>
> DISPLAYMANAGER="KDE"
>
> Anyways, in FC6 kdm doesn't look like the kdm in FC5. Check with ps to
> know which DM you are running.

And an important word of WARNING when updating to kde-redhat.

Don't forget to install kdebase-kdm!

Unfortunately, it is not listed as a dependency, but if you don't get it, when
switching to kde-redhat, you will not be able to log in. You will be forced
to log in on the command line and have to try to figure out how to download
the package. It happened to me. I was greeted by the rather unpleasant XDM
login screen, which 'kindly' refused to recognize my username and password,
not even root!

In kde-redhat, KDM is a separate package. After configuring the kde-redhat
repo, do a yum update to change your kde rpms over, then do not log out, but
yum install kdebase-kdm first!

Nice to have is also kdmtheme for easily changing themes.

--
Peter Gückel