VMWare repo

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Mon Feb 5 21:43:37 UTC 2007

On 05/02/07, Ed Greshko <Ed.Greshko at greshko.com> wrote:
> Dotan Cohen wrote:
> >>
> >> Installing VMware products does not involve "messing around with the
> >> kernel".  It does involve compiling kernel modules that VMware needs to
> >> communicate with the "Virtual Machine" or as VMware would call it, the
> >> guest
> >> O/S.
> >>
> >> Even if there were a repo for it, the process of installing VMware
> >> from the
> >> repo would involve compiling the modules.  So, the end result would be
> >> the same.
> >>
> >> FWIW, if you want to install VMware products, my advice is to simply
> >> follow
> >> their instructions.  It is probably just me, but I prefer to do the same
> >> with the Nvidia drivers.  I am fond of running "non standard" things
> >> when I
> >> am more aware of what is going on.
> >
> > I don't remember how I installed VMWare player on my Kubuntu box, but
> > I'm certain that I did not have to sess with the kernel. In fact, I
> > think I simply installed it via apt-get. If it's important to
> > somebody, then I can check.
>
> Let me restate, *you* may have not messed with the kernel when running
> apt-get...but certainly in the process of running apt-get the
> "vmware-config" script must have been run.  In that process, unless the
> modules "vmnet, vmmon" (and potentially others) supplied match the running
> kernel they must be compiled by "vmware-config".  This process may be hidden
> from your view by "apt-get" but it does happen.  I've been using VMware
> products since the 2.X days when there was no such animal as "VMware player"
> and I'm currently doing beta testing on Workstation 6.0 and nothing has
> changed.  VMware requires modules that need to be compiled to match the
> running kernel.  If the modules supplied by VMware don't match, they need to
> be recompiled and if *you* don't do it...then it is being done for you
> behind the scenes and being hidden from you.  But, in any case the kernel
> itself is *not* being messed with.  It is simply that modules need to be
> compiled to match the running kernel....  Yes, I'm repeating myself.

Ah, I see. I thought that was considered messing with the kernel. I'm
a bit better with spark plugs and pushrods than with kernels and
modules.

I installed the Player from the VMWare site, ran the vmware-config.pl
script and all is well so far as I can tell. I'm SSHing my vmware
files from my kubuntu box over to test it out, but that will take all
night (I can only get 400 kb/s over SSH for some reason, on two
machines with a router between them).

In the meantime, I attempted to install VMware-server and found that
it conflicts with the player:
[root at localhost ~]# rpm -Uv
/home/dotancohen/Desktop/VMware-server-1.0.1-29996.i386.rpm
[snip redundant error messages]
        file /usr/lib/vmware/modules/binary/upAthlon-2.4.19-SuSE-SLES8/objects/vmmon.o
from install of VMware-server-1.0.1-29996 conflicts with file from
package VMwarePlayer-1.0.3-34682
        file /usr/lib/vmware/modules/binary/upAthlon-2.4.20-SuSE-8.2/objects/vmmon.o
from install of VMware-server-1.0.1-29996 conflicts with file from
package VMwarePlayer-1.0.3-34682
        file /usr/lib/vmware/modules/binary/upAthlon-2.4.21-138-SuSE-SLES8/objects/vmmon.o
from install of VMware-server-1.0.1-29996 conflicts with file from
package VMwarePlayer-1.0.3-34682
        file /usr/lib/vmware/modules/binary/upAthlon-2.4.21-166-SuSE-9.0/objects/vmmon.o
from install of VMware-server-1.0.1-29996 conflicts with file from
package VMwarePlayer-1.0.3-34682
        file /usr/lib/vmware/modules/binary/upAthlon-2.4.21-SuSE-9.0/objects/vmmon.o
from install of VMware-server-1.0.1-29996 conflicts with file from
package VMwarePlayer-1.0.3-34682
        file /usr/lib/vmware/modules/source/vmmon.tar from install of
VMware-server-1.0.1-29996 conflicts with file from package
VMwarePlayer-1.0.3-34682
        file /usr/lib/vmware/modules/source/vmnet.tar from install of
VMware-server-1.0.1-29996 conflicts with file from package
VMwarePlayer-1.0.3-34682
        file /usr/lib/vmware/net-services.sh from install of
VMware-server-1.0.1-29996 conflicts with file from package
VMwarePlayer-1.0.3-34682
        file /usr/lib/vmware/share/pixmaps/console.png from install of
VMware-server-1.0.1-29996 conflicts with file from package
VMwarePlayer-1.0.3-34682
[root at localhost ~]#

Should I remove the Player to install the Server? The only reason I'm
installing Server is for the Tools. Thanks for your assistance and
advice. I very much appreciate it, and I'll work hard so that you
don't need to repeat yourself again.

Dotan Cohen

http://lyricslist.com/lyrics/artist_albums/294/kiss.html
http://yadya.com