FC7 Test1, No KDE!!

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Tue Feb 6 00:37:17 UTC 2007

Gilboa Davara wrote:
> On Sun, 2007-02-04 at 18:30 -0800, Michael A. Peters wrote:
>> On Sun, 2007-02-04 at 10:02 -0500, jim tate wrote:
>>
>>>  From what your saying, I gather there will be a separate KDE desktop
>>> install disk/DVD?? in the future.
>> While I'm generally in favor of a single install DVD, and I can not
>> speak for Fedora Development, it would make a LOT of sense for smaller
>> iso installations - as I bet a lot of people download the DVD (or the CD
>> isos) only to use maybe 1/4 (wild ass guess) worth of the MB of packages
>> on the disk itself.
>>
>> A "Gnome" based desktop and a "KDE" based desktop that are a subset of
>> the bigger DVD release would save users download bandwidth, and very
>> well may save the mirrors some bandwidth too.
>>
>> If jigdo could be used to assemble the smaller subset install dvds/iso,
>> then mirrors could not only serve less data for users (like me) who
>> would probably only want the gnome release plus a few server daemons
>> (that can be added via yum post install), but also wouldn't even have to
>> have any isos at all.
>>
>> I could see a "Full", "Gnome Desktop", "KDE Desktop", and "Server"
>> scheme - with the latter three all being much smaller than "Full".
>>
>> That would make sense to me. A "Full" install media should definitely
>> still exist though for magazines, people who buy burned/pressed discs,
>> etc.
>>

> Considering the merge between Fedora and Extras, it is no longer
> possible to create a "full" version. (>2 DVDs)
>
> - Gilboa

That may be true but the first DVD for desktops was slow in
responsiveness and did not have many of the extras packages on the
media. The media was around 2GB so there could have been available a lot
more of the games and the backgrounds along with some configuration
tools that were not included by either accident or by oversight.

A full version would be a lot more attractive regardless if it was a two
or three DVD set or not.

Jim

--
QOTD:
	"If he learns from his mistakes, pretty soon he'll know everything."