Security Updates -- Are they necessary in Linux for user?

Benjamin Sher delphi123 at zebra.net
Tue Feb 6 03:21:26 UTC 2007

monty19@ hotmail.com wrote:
> Unfortunately, security updates are necessary for virtually every
> major operating system.  Not all of those 213 updates are necessarilly
> for security flaws.  Some may be for bugs that cause programs to
> behave incorrectly or crash, and a few may install upgraded versions
> of programs with new features.  A lot though, may be very necessary in
> order to keep your system secure.
>
> For instance, if you are browsing the internet with an old version of
> Firefox with a security flaw, it may be possible for a malicious
> website to run code that would allow someone to take control of your
> system (only as an example)
>
> I have here running Windows Vista, Fedora 6 (and 7 Test 1), Solaris 10
> 11/06, Mac OS X 10.4.8, FreeBSD 6.2, and every single one of them has
> updates for one reason or another (FreeBSD 6.2 was only just released,
> so I don't think any updates for security yet).  Your not going to
> escape the need by changing OS'es.

Dear Monty:

My sincere thanks for your expert and wise advice. Will install the
security updates.

One question: Do the security updates have to be installed immediately
after install? What happens if,. e.g install Firefox 2.0 over Firefox
1.5 (the current version). Do I still need to install the security
update for Firefox? Or should I first install the security update and
then update Firefox to the latest 2.x version?

Thanks again.

Benjamin