Wi[r]eless security (was: Suspend bug)

Andras Simon szajmi at gmail.com
Tue Feb 6 13:40:14 UTC 2007

On 2/6/07, David G. Miller <dave at davenjudy.org> wrote:
> "Andras Simon" <szajmi at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > n 2/6/07, David G. Miller <dave at davenjudy.org> wrote:
> >
> > [...]
> >> >

> > Is that such a major undertaking? I never tried to connect Linux
> > wirelessly, but just the other day it took me all of 5 minutes to set
> > up my router and phone to talk to each other via a WPA connection (3
> > of which went into trying in vain to configure what the router calls
> > WPA2 - so I went with WPA1). And I don't even know what all those
> > acronyms stand for  :)
> >
> > Andras
> The AP I have wants an external radius server if I configure WPA.  I
> have freeradius installed on my server so I just need to figure out how
> to configure it so my AP can use it.  Once that's done, I then need to
> see if my laptop can connect to the AP using WPA.  I don't have a good
> way of testing whether freeradius is configured correctly independently
> from having the laptop use it with WPA.  Likewise, I have no way of
> knowing whether WPA on the laptop is configured correctly other than
> having it connect using my freeradius server.  I'm expecting I'll have
> to spend some time debugging this setup.

You have my sympathy...

Among the wireless security options of my router there is one called
WPA Personal that doesn't require a radius server; so I opted for
that.

> If I only needed to change one thing, I wouldn't be as concerned.
> Changing two dependent things at the same time is usually a recipe for
> trouble.  Be glad you didn't face a similar problem.

I certainly am, for now. But I'm slightly afraid someone will react to
this to tell me that WPA without a radius server is worse than WEP :-(

BTW, I learned a lot from this thread, so thanks to all the experts!

Andras