FC4 hangs

Robin Laing Robin.Laing at drdc-rddc.gc.ca
Wed Feb 7 17:01:34 UTC 2007

Vladimir wrote:
>>> Hi all.

> MK> A couple of questions:
>
> MK> 1. What kernel are you running? (uname -a)
>
> 2.6.17-1.2139_FC4smp
>
> MK> 2. Could you post your /var/log/messages for a boot to hang period (as
> MK> an attachment)
>
> Done. However, i think each time it hangs on different stages of booting.
>
> MK> 3. Try booting with the kernel parameter "irqpoll"
>
> I'll try, thanks. But the most important to me is to find out why is
> this happening?
> There is a little mistake in my original message: when
> restarting after a hang the computer does not necessarily hang. It
> can hang but also it can boot properly. When doing a clean shutdown and booting again - it also can hang.
> For a period of 6 months there were 4-5 such hangs.

Having had a similar problem that was eventually traced to a drifting
power supply, I would suggest you take a look at your power supply
voltages.  Also check to see if you have any issues with dust/heat buildup.

I don't know if you are running lmsensors or not but it may point to a
hardware problem.

--
Robin Laing