SD card reader (Winbond)

David G. Miller dave at davenjudy.org
Thu Feb 8 06:51:50 UTC 2007

"Mikkel L. Ellertson" <mikkel at infinity-ltd.com> wrote:

> Is this a built in SD card reader on a laptop or some kind of external
> > reader with say a USB interface?  I very recently researched getting the
> > SD card reader on my laptop to read SD cards under Linux (of any flavor)
> > and found out that the interface specification for SD is "encumbered"
> > (patents, copyright) in such a way that it is doubtful that an open
> > source Linux driver can be legally provided.  Things may have changed or
> > I could have missed something but that's what I found.  A USB device
> > should hide such details from Linux and just present a mass storage
> > interface.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Dave
> >

> I think thing have changed, because I can use the SD reader in my
> laptop that used the TI chipset. I did have to run a command on
> startup that would turn off the Multi-Media reader, and turn on the
> SD reader, but I am not sure if that is still necessary.
>
> Mikkel
You wouldn't by any chance have a pointer to how to do such things?
lspci for my laptop shows:

03:04.4 Class 0805: Texas Instruments
PCI6411/6421/6611/6621/7411/7421/7611/7621 Secure Digital Controller
        Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company Unknown device 3085
        Memory at b020a000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=256]
        Memory at b0208c00 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=256]
        Memory at b0208800 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=256]
        Capabilities: <access denied>

I got a new digital camera for Christmas that uses SD memory so I
googled to see if I could get the card reader that's built in to my
laptop to work with it.  Everything I found was all about how the SD
consortium had patented certain aspects of accessing SD memory and would
only license the information under non-disclosure and for a fee both of
which made an open source driver problematic.  I guess I just found old
articles.

Cheers,
Dave

-- Ambrose Bierce