[Fwd: User account ( hacked ) of FC6 System]

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Thu Feb 8 07:01:05 UTC 2007

edwardspl at ita.org.mo wrote:

>>> But I think the user account ( profile files ) is also problem, so, I
>>> want to know how limit the related files ( including the dot file ) !
>>>
>> This was covered in another topic.
>> Using normal unix permissions:
>> https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-list/2007-February/msg01197.html
>> or with the special chattr operation:
>> https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-list/2007-February/msg01247.html
>>
>> You'll have to fix them for the existing broken account first, though.
>> Either delete the account and re-add it or copy working versions of
>> the files over from a working account as root.
>>
> Hello to you,
>
> 1, The System is FC6.
> 2, After run "adduser edward" and login with user "edward", then

You'll need to do most of this as root.

> [edward at svr1 ~]$ ls -l -a
> total 36
> drwx------ 3 edward edward 4096 Feb 6 22:51 .
> drwxr-xr-x 5 root root 4096 Feb 6 22:50 ..
> -rw------- 1 edward edward 67 Feb 7 12:47 .bash_history
> -rw-r--r-- 1 edward edward 24 Feb 6 22:50 .bash_logout
> -rw-r--r-- 1 edward edward 176 Feb 7 11:57 .bash_profile
> -rw-r--r-- 1 edward edward 124 Feb 6 22:50 .bashrc
> drwxr-xr-x 3 edward edward 4096 Feb 6 22:50 .kde
> -rw-r--r-- 1 edward edward 658 Feb 6 22:50 .zshrc
> [edward at svr1 ~]$
>
> 3, Is it :
> chown root /home/edward
> chmod g+rwx ( What number of g+rwx, eg : ?77 ) /home/edward

You can use the symbolic form literally. I think it's easier to
understand.  Let the computer do the binary/octal math.
  g+rwx means add the read, write, and execute bits for the group.

> chmod +t ( What number of +t ) /home/edward

Same here, you can type it that way and it means add the "sticky" bit.

> chown root /home/edward/ All_dot_filenames

Don't get carried away with wildcards on this one.  .* will also match
.. which is your parent directory.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com