Where can I find a samba-vscan rpm?

Ed Greshko Ed.Greshko at greshko.com
Thu Feb 8 09:08:11 UTC 2007

Rakhesh Sasidharan wrote:
> Hi there!
>
> Apologies if this has already been ask for. I can't find any place to
> search the list archives and so haven't done a search. (Am sure there
> must be an archive somewhere that can be searched. Please do let me
> know).
>
> I'm running Fedora Core 6. I have Samba and ClamAV installed. I
> understand there's a Samba module called "samba-vscan" but I don't
> know where to get it from. There doesn't seem to be any rpms
> available, and a quick search on the Net gives me the impression
> people compile it from source. Is that the case, or are there any rpms
> available somewhere?

http://www.openantivirus.org/projects.php is the project home for samba-vscan.

It has this to say.....

samba-vscan is a proof-of-concept module for Samba, which uses the VFS
(virtual file system) features of Samba 2.2.x/3.0 to provide an on-access
Samba anti-virus. Of course, Samba has to be compiled with VFS support. It
currently works with ClamAV (clamd/libclamav), FRISK F-Prot Daemon, F-Secure
AV, H+BEDV AntiVir, Kaspersky AntiVirus, McAfee/NAI uvscan, mks32,
OpenAntiVirus ScannerDaemon, Sophos Sweep, Symantec AntiVirus Engine (via
ICAP) or Trend Micro. The latest release is 0.3.6b. samba-vscan is
maintained by Rainer Link.

samba-vscan is included in recent SUSE Linux / SUSE Linux Enterprise Server
versions. Unofficial samba-vscan RPMs for SuSE Linux / SLES / UL1 can be
found at SUSE's FTP server for Samba 2.2 / 3.0. SUSE ships samba-vscan since
SUSE Linux 8.1 or so, RPMs for Mandrake Linux should be available and an
eisfair package as well. samba-vscan is also in the FreeBSD ports
collection. Some unofficial debs for Debian woody can be grabbed here, but
this debs should be used for Samba packages built by Samba.org only! (thanks
to Simo). A FreeBSD 5.3 package (self-built) can be grabbed here. Use at
your own risk.

--
No guts, no glory.