Livna repo broken?

Claude Jones claude_jones at levitjames.com
Sat Feb 10 07:40:51 UTC 2007

On Fri February 9 2007, Temlakos wrote:
> The script sets up six different channels (and disables all but one of
> them), /and/ sets up a comprehensive list of mirror sites. AFAICT, the
> mirrors are good for all channels listed.

This is how it set up on my machine as well. Didn't mean to dump on you Aaron,
but your statement caught me at a crochety early morning moment. I no longer
use livna so I can't look at it on this machine here at home, but on my
office machine which I did look at this am before I posted that, the various
channels it sets up are for the base url plus some things like debug and the
like. In the GUI 'Edit/Mirrors' window, there are 4 or 5 mirrors listed for
Livna.

I spent some time a year ago trying to figure out what Kyum was doing with
Livna. It was ultimately the conclusion of various members of this list that
Livna was following the correct syntax in setting up their repo list, and
that it was Kyum that was mangling it - essentially, what would happen is, if
you opened Kyum and enabled one of the Livna repos, Kyum would rewrite the
livna.repo file and wipe out the listed mirrors - something along those
lines. I had written a bug report to the Kyum author who had maintained that
the livna.repo file didn't follow the correct syntax, and that his program
wasn't broken. So far as I know, that has never been fixed, but, I don't use
Kyum any more.

So, after spending a lot of time on that, and then spending a lot of time
getting Smart running on my machine, I chanced upon Livna's nice script,
which did a great job of configuring Livna to work in Smart quite nicely. And
then, you wrote that statement this am and that's what set me off.

--
Claude Jones
Brunswick, MD, USA