videolan

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Sat Feb 10 15:13:34 UTC 2007

François Patte wrote:

>>> This is always the problem with livna: they put some interesting things
>>> but "old fashionned": their packages depends on older libraries than
>>> those you have already installed and when you try to install something
>>> it turns into a nightmare...
>> It's the other way around.  Livna is compatible with fedora core/extras
>> and doesn't replace those libraries.  The other third party repositories
>> may or may not conflict.
>>
>> If you haven't added things from other repositories, livna's vlc will
>> install fine.
>
> I use only fedora's repositories, inluding extra, freshrpms (for this
> one the problem is the same old libraries "conflicting" with some newer
> from fedora in the case of its vlc version), livna and macromediafor the
> flash-plugin. That's all.

Freshrpms is a 3rd party repository that rebuilds and replaces some of
the standard components from fedora core/extras and may not be
compatible with anything else.  Livna builds against the core/extra
components and requires that you have those repositories enabled.  I'm
not sure about x86_64, but I recently installed vlc from livna on an
i386 FC6 with no conflicts.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com