Samba, connection is slow but copying files is fast.

Bob Chiodini rchiodin at bellsouth.net
Sat Feb 10 16:03:23 UTC 2007

korgull wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have an issue with Samba regarding connection speed. The issue is not speed
> in general because copying files to and from a share works well. The issue is
> that it takes ages before I can access the share and start doing something.
>
> Once it connects it is fast. When I stop using the share and try to open it
> again after a while, I again have a long waiting time before I can connect.
> The time I have to wait is somewhere between 10-30 seconds.
>
> The network uses DHCP and both samba server and client are connected to a
> Linksys router.
>
> Does anyone have a clue to what can be the issue ?
>
> regards,
> Marcel

Marcel,

Do you use the deadtime parameter in /etc/samba/smb.conf?  If so, you
may want to lengthen the deadtime or delete it entirely.  See man smb.conf.

Additionally, since you are using DHCP, do you assign the same IP
address to the server each time it re-ups its address?  You probably
should.  Linksys probably has a method of "fixing" IP addresses to MAC
addresses.   Otherwise, the Windows browser mechanism comes into play.
That could result in long name to machine resolution times.

Bob...