does simple "DISPLAY=" and "xhost +" not work anymore?

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Sat Feb 10 17:50:57 UTC 2007

Robert P. J. Day wrote:
>   just for the entertainment value, i was showing a group of newbie
> linux users how easy it was to run a graphical client remotely, so i
> did the same thing i've done many times -- had one person run "xhost
> +" and someone else set DISPLAY appropriately so run an "xclock" on
> their system and have the window itself pop up on the remote system.
>
>   to my surprise, it didn't work even though it seemed like i'd done
> the same thing i'd done so many times before.  time prevented me from
> digging into it further but is there something about FC6 that stops
> this from working anymore?
>
>   do you need to do additional work with ssh or xauth or something
> these days?  thanks.
>
> rday

Did you check the firewall settings? If I remember correctly, the
default settings will block this. I think most people tunnel X
connections over SSH now days - both for security and because the
compression speeds things up.

As a side benefit, if you use "ssh -Y" to make connection to the
remote machine, you don't have to play with xhost of DISPLAY - ssh
takes care of this for you.

Mikkel