a humble request

Globe Trotter itsme_410 at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 10 23:54:23 UTC 2007

--- Paulo Cavalcanti <promac at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 2/10/07, Globe Trotter <itsme_410 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> >
> > please bring back automatic editing of /etc/fstab with a mount of
> > removable
> > media. is there any particular reason why it is better to have it removed?
> > life
> > has been too complicated ever since....
>

> Sorry, but this is not going to change. We have to adapt.
> The main difference is that one will never know, in advance,
> where something is going to be mounted
> /media/....
>
> But a well written python script can even find out this for you.

Can someone please find this out then? The problem with a moving target is that
programs that actually do something can not be written to read data from a
disk.

Are Ubuntu, etc also going the same way?

> The reason? Is it not easier for an end user, who has no idea what fstab is?

Can we not have both? Linux is for the end user but also for the advanced user,
I hope!

I do not believe that many an end user is going to use Linux. Sadly, the fear
factor is too high. This is what MS lives off.....

Besides what are