Wireless Adapters for Linux

Albert Graham agraham at g-b.net
Sun Feb 11 00:25:43 UTC 2007

Don't be fooled,

This company like most other companies that produce wireless
chipsets/devices are touting false claims as far as the Linux (OS
driver) aspect is concerned, these guys are only interested in selling
to Windows users  and if Windows users "think" it works really well with
Linux, they think it will work even better with Windows - Marketing Job
done for yet another closed wireless company!

Also, there are no technical Datasheets for these products on the
company's website (http://www.ubnt.com/) unless you consider fancy
colour brochure with nice pictures a datasheet and some how write a
driver from that :(

I'm afraid there's nothing new here, they may well have the best Linux
wireless device + driver but they will not release it to the community.

Other companies, like Ratech don't do much better, unless you consider
releasing a really crappy NDIS driver+binary firmware without technical
details as "supporting  linux".

All we need is the bloody datasheets for the specific implementation if
it deviates from what is already published, basically these companies
are all the same and the only way to do it is reverse engineer (which I
spent many years doing :) ) - in Europe.

Albert.