Samba, connection is slow but copying files is fast.

Marcel Janssen korgull at home.nl
Sun Feb 11 13:30:40 UTC 2007

On Saturday 10 February 2007 17:03, Bob Chiodini wrote:
> Do you use the deadtime parameter in /etc/samba/smb.conf?  If so, you
> may want to lengthen the deadtime or delete it entirely.  See man smb.conf.

I didn't know this parameter and will check it out.

> Additionally, since you are using DHCP, do you assign the same IP
> address to the server each time it re-ups its address?  You probably
> should.  Linksys probably has a method of "fixing" IP addresses to MAC
> addresses.   Otherwise, the Windows browser mechanism comes into play.
> That could result in long name to machine resolution times.

Just to try, I have assigned fixed IP addresses to the samba server and
clients. Now everything is fine, so I guess it really has something to do
with lookup of name vs IP. Since I also use laptops that I like to keep using
DHCP for I'll further investigate the issue but at least have a clue now to
what I should be looking for.

Thanks,
Marcel