How to SMTP (Email) Server Fedora 6?

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Mon Feb 12 17:42:36 UTC 2007

Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:

>> It should almost work out of the box.  Fedora ships an intentionally
>> broken sendmail configuration that won't accept mail from anything but
>> the local box.  To fix it you should:
>> yum install sendmail-cf
>> Then edit /etc/mail/sendmail.mc and remove the Addr=127.0.0.1
>> restriction from the DAEMON_OPTIONS line and restart sendmail.
>>
> I don't know that I would call it "intentionally broken".

It is useless for any reasonable use of email - unless you only enjoy
talking to yourself.  And it is particularly bizarre that this
brokenness must be fixed by manually editing an obscure file while lots
of other easy and less useful operations have GUI wrappers to do the
grunge work.  Someone doesn't want your mail to work.  Or they want to
make sendmail look difficult to configure.

> It is
> severely restricted, but if you are going to run a mail server
> accessible to the outside world, you are going to have to make some
> changes anyway, unless you want to end up with an open relay.

No, the access file controls the ability to relay and the default file
supplied prohibits it.  It is not necessary to break normal network
access for that.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com