Adding a printer to OpenOffice

Frank Cox theatre at sasktel.net
Mon Feb 12 22:11:43 UTC 2007

I want to automatically create a .ps file from a html file using a script on
this FC6 machine.

It seems to me that OpenOffice should fit this bill as it can load a html file
and print to a PostScript file.  However, doing this automatically from the
commandline is becoming a challenge.

I thought I might be able to set up a printer using spadmin that would simply
print to a file, then use a command like:

ooffice -pt textfileprinter document.html

Unfortunately, I have run into a roadblock here in that, on my installation of
OpenOffice, when I run /usr/lib/openoffice.org2.0/program/spadmin and select
"new printer" the options "Add a printer" (and "Import printers from a
StarOffice intallation", though this one is not relevant) are greyed out and
the only selections that I can make are "Connect a fax device" or "Connect a
PDF converter".

So how can I add a printer to OpenOffice that will print to a Postscript file?