Samba, connection is slow but copying files is fast.

Marcel Janssen korgull at home.nl
Mon Feb 12 22:13:09 UTC 2007

On Monday 12 February 2007 18:10, Tim wrote:
> and any changes
> to machine addresses can take a long time to get recognised.

Well, that I've also found. When I changed addresses it really took quite a
long time before things started to work. So long that I even thought it
didn't work and started changing things again (unnecessary of course). After
a while I found out that drinking a cup of coffee usually solved the
issue :-)

> We probably need to see the Samba config file, as well as knowing how
> machine names are resolved on that LAN (hosts, lmhosts, DNS, Wins,
> whatever).

I switched to fixed IP addresses and have no issues since that time. I will
probably keep it that for a while until I find some more time to really dig
into this.

Regards,
Marcel