digital camera software

David G. Miller dave at davenjudy.org
Tue Feb 13 15:51:06 UTC 2007

Tim <ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au> wrote:

> On Tue, 2007-02-13 at 02:05 -0800, Justin Zygmont wrote:
>> > what is core 6 supposed to use for digital cameras?  I see gphoto2 is
>> > there, but I don't see any GUI for it.
>>

> There's gThumb, for one.  I was under the impression that gphoto is used
> as an *interface* by other applications, unless I'm mixing up names.
Using gphoto2 from the command line is handy for debugging problems
accessing the camera.  gThumb is a wrapper for gphoto2 when it comes to
accessing the camera.  That being said, gThumb provides a lot more
functionality once the pictures are imported.

As usual with a GUI application, they're great when they work but they
can hide problems or not provide the details that are available from the
command line when things go wrong.  Also, gphoto2 is nice if all you
want to do is slurp in the pictures.

Cheers,
Dave

-- Ambrose Bierce