need to switch computers without losing data

jim tate mickeyboa at sbcglobal.net
Tue Feb 13 20:43:56 UTC 2007

Tom Poe wrote:
> My daughter has a PIII with FC5 on it.  Troubleshooting flowchart
> indicates power supply died.  We're going to the UMN recycle store,
> and get a PIII or newer.  Can someone point me to the steps needed to
> take the hard drive out of the dead computer, and put it in the new
> computer, and not lose the data?  I'm thinking there might be issues
> with just switching hard drive to another computer with different
> hardware configuration.
> Any help appreciated,
> Tom

No problem, That is the nice thing about Linux, Linux will detect new
hardware and make changes on new hardware.
The only problem is if the new(old) computer may have a piece of
hardware that Linux doesn't have drivers for, and I have never had that
happen to me.
Laptops can be a sticky problem sometimes.
Ihave installed Linux on  my PC and  sent harddrive to another person
and they change harddrive.
The only problem you could run across if you have $Windows installed,
dual booting with Linux,
Windows will not run on a different computer.

Jim