need to switch computers without losing data

Andy Green andy at warmcat.com
Tue Feb 13 20:54:40 UTC 2007

jim tate wrote:

> No problem, That is the nice thing about Linux, Linux will detect new
> hardware and make changes on new hardware.

The kernel will have a go at it, but if the initrd made when your kernel
package was installed does not include drivers critical for booting on
the actual computer you are booting from, it will fail to boot (eg,
right SATA driver in there).  You can come up on the install CD in
rescue mode and reinstall the kernel package, regenerating the initrd,
but that isn't trivial unless it's the kind of stuff you do all day.

Also X won't start faced with different video hardware, unless you were
on vesa anyway.

But I agree, at least you can expect to be able to meddle with it and
get it working if it doesn't go smoothly, and that's a lot better than
the alternative!

-Andy