cifs mount options

Akemi Yagi amyagi at gmail.com
Tue Feb 13 21:17:50 UTC 2007

On Tue, 13 Feb 2007 11:05:16 -0800, Alan M. Evans wrote:

> My current (non-working) fstab entry appears thus:
>
>   //merope/jdrive /mnt/jdrive cifs
>   user=xxx,password=xxx,uid=112,gid=101,file_mode=0666,dir_mode=0777 0 0

The options I have in my fstab look something like:

user,uid=1000,rw,suid,credentials=/root/credentials.txt

The credentials.txt file contains 2 lines, username=xxx and password=yyy

One advantage about using the credential option is that this file can be
placed somewhere non-root users cannot access and that password is no
longer visible in /etc/fstab.

Akemi