(fedora) Re: NTP problem

Phil Meyer pmeyer at themeyerfarm.com
Wed Feb 14 17:21:05 UTC 2007

Jacob (=Jouk) Jansen wrote:
> Chris wrote on 18:12:06.46
>

>> On 2/12/07, Jacob (=Jouk) Jansen <joukj at hrem.nano.tudelft.nl> wrote:
>>
> [snip]
>
>>> I have a problem with NTP on a FC6 machine connected to a adsl connection.
>>> When starting up the machine it tells me it fails to synch with the server
>>> (it started doing this one or two months ago) after that is sais that ntpd
>>> is started succesfully. I doubt this because I start noticing slight (1/2
>>> minute) time differences with other machines.
>>>
> [snip]

Are you running NetworkManager?

This is a problem with NetworkManager.  It starts AFTER ntpd.  The fix
is to cause ntpd to start after NetworkManager but that is not a good
solution in my mind.

You are also supposed to be able to declare a server as 'dynamic' in
/etc/ntp.conf.  This does not seem to correct the problem for me.

So, two options remain:

1. modify /etc/init.d/ntpd to start later.
2. start ntpd from rc.local, which runs last.

Personally I hate to modify system files that I then have to track over
releases.  In either case, here, this is necessary. :(

It is my opinion that the ntpd maintainer needs to start ntpd AFTER
NetworkManager.

ntpd is: 58

NetworkManager is: 98

99 is sorta conventionally held for local customized startups scripts,
so I don't know what would be best.  Obviously the NetworkManager
maintainers feel the need to start as close to the end as reasonable.

So, I guess its best to:

# /sbin/chkconfig ntpd off

and then edit /etc/rc.local and add:

service ntpd start