a humble request

Mike McCarty Mike.McCarty at sbcglobal.net
Wed Feb 14 19:27:35 UTC 2007

James Wilkinson wrote:

> Mike McCarty wrote:

[snip]

>>I don't like anything to remove control
>>of my machine from my hands, especially software which may inadvertently
>>or intentionally do damage to my setup.
>

> OK -- but sometimes it's useful to allow your computer to do things
> automatically, as long as you can change that behaviour when needed.

I agree "sometimes" it's useful to allow my computer to do
SOME things automatically, so long as I can change the behavior.
Auto-mount is not one of them.

>>Using volume names means ensuring that they never collide, and
>>creates an entire name management problem.
>
> Actually, it just means ensuring that they are never mounted at once,
> which is a much smaller problem.

Not so. If, as was suggested, the auto-mount occurs on data intended
to control or supply data for an install, and a medium with that
volume name is already mounted, but does not have corresponding
data, then something may go badly wrong. I know where I put the install
medium. The computer does not.

> James (who shared an Amiga, and agrees that the OS could show all
> current OSes a worthwhile trick or two -- for example, datatypes).

Mike, who has worked on the other end of the install stick, supporting
users who badly botched installs.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.