Question about DST changes in the US

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Fri Feb 16 01:59:41 UTC 2007

Mike McCarty wrote:
> Les Mikesell wrote:
>>

>> Ntp and fedora always run in UTC which doesn't change for local DST
>
> Are you sure about this, Les? I've got a Fedora install, and I recall
> specifically telling it to use hardware time, not UTC, and when I
> boot Windows XP it tells me the same time as Fedora.
>
>> variations.  The tzdata info is used for conversions to display
>> localtime using the local conventions for the user's timezone.
>
> Mike
The time when the system is running is in UTC, and converted to
local time for display. The system reads the hardware clock on boot,
and I believe on resuming from suspend. It writes to the hardware
clock on shutdown. (and suspend?) The settings in /etc/adjtime tell
hwclock to use UTC or localtime when talking to the clock, and give
drift information for the hardware clock. /etc/sysconfig/clock has
local time information, and if the clock is local time or UTC.

The system also uses local time for most logs, and for cron jobs.
Also, a user's time zone can be different then the system time zone...

Mikkel