Bonehead Move, noexec

Andy Green andy at warmcat.com
Fri Feb 16 16:20:04 UTC 2007

Ulrich Drepper wrote:

Hi Ulrich -

> Try that on a rawhide system.  There was a kernel bad which Linus
> finally fixed in the 2.6.19 (or .20?) kernels.

It isn't "fixed" on the current FC6 2.6.19 kernel FWIW.

> Partitions are terribly useful.  There several useful mount flags:
>
>   noatime, noexec, nodev, nosuid
> If anything, people should use more partitions, not less.

Why should fracturing your storage like a broken mirror have anything to
do with application of what are basically ACLs.  Why is smashing the
mirror into more smaller pieces any kind of good idea.  Partitions in
the sense of reserving chunks of storage can only mean that you
mismanage your storage in one section or another and run short.  The
only situation that is optimal is everything sharing a single
allocation.  It seems to me it is another "bad" that in order to get the
granular ACL benefits you mention, for some reason you currently have to
use a stupid static reservation scheme.

-Andy