cron

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Fri Feb 16 23:30:09 UTC 2007

Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:

>> But the resulting changes don't give any new functionality.
>>
> They don't? I like being able to find all the system cron jobs that
> run hourly, daily, etc in predictable places.

Why would you know how something is scheduled without seeing the entry?
If you don't know how it is scheduled, how do you find it?

>> If cron.d has to be hardcoded somewhere,
>> why shouldn't I get one too?
>>
> Why? If you need it, set it up once, and forget about it.

You can't set up your own cron.d.

> Then you should know enough about your system to know where to find
> them. You make it sound like they are hard to find. For a system
> cron job, it is going to be in one of a small number of locations.

Can you describe the procedure?  I might know that a job already runs
and want to change the schedule. Or I just want to find out if something
is already scheduled but the time hasn't come for it to run yet.  Or
worse, I want to tell someone on the other end of a phone line how to
make that change.

> The scheme doesn't matter if you don't know when a job is run.

Why would anyone know that?

> Changing when hourly, daily, etc jobs are run takes editing one
> file, and changing one time each.

What if your daily job needs to be done twice daily?

> If you have a problem with the way things are done, try using a
> reasoned explanation of why.

If you answered any of the questions above with an actual procedure to
follow, the reasoning should be obvious.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com