/etc/sysconfig/kernel

Rakhesh Sasidharan rakheshster at gmail.com
Sat Feb 17 04:24:56 UTC 2007

On 2/17/07, Tim <ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au> wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-02-15 at 16:47 +0100, Roberto Malinverni wrote:
> > Does anybody knows where I can find a descriptions of the use of the
> > /etc/sysconfig/kernel file and of its syntax?
> > Googling around I've found some fragments of information, but really not
> > much.
> > The file should be involved in determining the default kernel flavour when
> > installing a new one, in the selection of kernel modules during the initrd
> > cration, and so on.
>
> Should it really do all that?  Mine's just go things like this in it:
>
>  # UPDATEDEFAULT specifies if new-kernel-pkg should make
>  # new kernels the default
>  UPDATEDEFAULT=yes
>
>  # DEFAULTKERNEL specifies the default kernel package type
>  DEFAULTKERNEL=kernel
>
> That's the whole file, by the way.  That looks more like something YUM
> or GRUB pays attention to.
>
> I'd expect the files like /boot/config-2.6.18-1.2868.fc6 to have more to
> do with creating new kernel modules, etc.

I had a question related to kernel configuring and stuff. Since the
topic has come up here, I'll chime in.

I want to run Xen on Fedora Core 6. The default Xen kernel in Fedora
comes PAE enabled, but I don't want that and so have to disable it.
I've figured how to recompile my own kernel based on Fedora's kernel
but with PAE disabled (following the instructions at this link:
http://felipe-alfaro.org/blog/2007/02/04/netbsd-31-under-xen-303/).
What concerns me, however, is that its quite possible in the near
future an updated kernel is released by Fedora and that would
over-write my default kernel. So I'd like to know what steps I can
take to prevent this ...

Is it possible I can tell Fedora not to update my kernel, but instead
inform me of the availability of a newer one so I can compile one from
source.

Is it possible I can set some option somewhere so Fedora automatically
compiles newer kernels for me with PAE disabled?

Regards,
Rakhesh