iptables question

Ashley M. Kirchner ashley at pcraft.com
Sat Feb 17 20:18:37 UTC 2007

    Is there a way to tell iptables specifically what networks to have a
port open for?  Let's see if I can explain it better:

    I run an internal NFS server that's available to all internal
machines (private IPs), and to 1 external server elsewhere (with a
public IP).  I know I can use hosts.deny and hosts.allow to specifically
tell the daemons who to allow to connect, but I'm wondering if I can do
the same kind of fine-grained control with iptables?  Basically, if I
run nmap against the NFS server's public IP, I don't want it to show
that NFS is running, however if I run nmap from the remote client, I
should be ale to see if.  The same if I run nmap from (another) remote
location versus if I run it from within the network.  The latter
scenario is the only time I want to see that the nfs port is open.

    Is this possible?

--
H | It's not a bug - it's an undocumented feature.
  Photo Craft Imaging                       .     3550 Arapahoe Ave. #6