Please help ... How can I connect to a bluetooth headset without pin_helper?

Jesper Holck holckj at acm.org
Sat Feb 17 22:10:02 UTC 2007

I finally found a solution, so - answering my own question:

Apparently you can't get this to work with the rpm-files only. You need
to download the source code (e.g. bluez-utils-3.9.tar.gz), inside this
archive find the "daemon" directory, and compile the program
"passkey-agent". Please note that this program is *not* installed if you
do "configure" and "make install" in the base directory only.

This is supposed to run as a daemon (in the background) and can provide
the pin code, when the headset asks for it. So I have made this small
script to get things properly working:

#!/bin/sh
/sbin/modprobe snd_bt_sco
/usr/sbin/hcid
passkey-agent --default "0000" &    # "0000" is the pin code for the headset
btsco 00:00:00:00:00:00 &    # Bluetooth address of headset

snd_bt_sco and btsco are from Bluetooth alsa
(http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=116589)

/Jesper