VMWare server on FC4

fedoralist at subtropolix.org fedoralist at subtropolix.org
Sun Feb 18 14:54:27 UTC 2007

Markku Kolkka wrote:
> fedoralist at subtropolix.org kirjoitti viestissään (lähetysaika
> lauantai, 17. helmikuuta 2007):
>
>>First, i installed the kernel-devel package with yum:
>>
>>$ rpm -qa | grep kernel
>>kernel-devel-2.6.17-1.2142_FC4
>>kernel-2.6.11-1.1369_FC4
>>kernel-2.6.9-1.667
>

> You must have the kernel-devel package that exactly matches the
> version of your running kernel. Either update your kernel to
> 2.6.17-1.2142_FC4 or try to find the old
> kernel-devel-2.6.11-1.1369_FC4 from some archive.

Thanks. Yup, i clued into that a few minutes later, removed the
kernel-devel package, and located the proper one and downloaded it
manually. I feel like a n00b.

I find it strange, though, that yum would install the incorrect version
for my running kernel. It's not as if i asked it to update it (and, even
then, it seems fruitless to fetch a mis-matched package).

I'll try again later this morning.

brian