Kaffiene question re audio

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Mon Feb 19 01:16:36 UTC 2007

Gene Heskett wrote:

> I just swore off of livna, once you have a livna rpm installed, its
> dependencies absolutely preclude updating anything else.  Is there not an
> equ from freshrpms, dries, or atrpms?
>
> I'm trying to maintain a semiworking system here, but if I nuke everything
> from livna, I doubt if it would even reboot.  So out of this list, what
> is safe to 'rpm -e --nodeps' and then reinstall from one of the other
> repo's?

You might want to install SMART and use it to make the replacements.
I am still learning it, but one thing I like is that it will display
the packages from all the repo's next to each other, with the
installed one in green. It will then let you pick the package from
another rope, and un-install from the first. As long as the new
package will fill the dependencies of the old package, it will
replace one package with the other. It will also pop up a list of
packages that would get removed if you remove a package, and let you
change your mind. You can even "downgrade" a package to an older
version. It doesn't completely eliminate the dependencies problem,
but id does make change what repo a package comes from a bit easier.
Now, if it would only let you see the repo and the description at
the same time...

Mikkel