need laptop advice

Matthew Saltzman mjs at ces.clemson.edu
Mon Feb 19 16:44:49 UTC 2007

On Mon, 19 Feb 2007, Aaron Konstam wrote:

> On Mon, 2007-02-19 at 10:45 -0500, Brian wrote:
>> >
>>> The answer to that is bound to start an argument. But here goes:
>>> <= 1G RAM
>>> <= 80G disk
>>> <= 2 GHz cpu - variable speed
>>> <= Intel wireless - for example ipw2200
>>> 1920X1440 screen resolution if you can get it.
>>> CD and DVD reader and writer
>>> I have 4 ups ports.
>>> mouse pad
>>> external mouse and video
>>>

>>> There may be more but that is all I can think of now.
>>>

>>> --
>>> Aaron Konstam <akonstam at sbcglobal.net>
>>
>> Just something to think about regarding screen resolution.
>>
>> I had a 15" wide-screen Dell laptop that had a native resolution of
>> 1920x1200. The text was so small that I really wished I had not "upgraded"
>> to the higher resolution video card/display. The extra screen real estate
>> was nice but my eyes weren't happy. :)
>>
>> -Brian
>>
> Someone else posted the same complaint. I don't really understand it.
> Every application that see. ms relevant has a way to increase the size
> of the text. Together with using reading glasses I have no problem with
> the higher resolution.

One thing I find useful is: Set the true screen DPI in your font
preferences.  Then when you choose a point size for your typefaces, they
will appear at the true intended size.  For example, uppercase in 9pt type
should be 1/8in high on your display.  If it's ridiculously small on your
display, it's because your DPI is set too low.  The DPI is not always set
correctly by the installer.

--
 		Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences