ET and no sound

Keith G. Robertson-Turner fedora-gmane.00003 at genesis-x.nildram.co.uk
Mon Feb 19 22:52:57 UTC 2007

Verily I say unto thee, that Przemyslaw Gawronski spake thusly:
> Hi, I've just got my new FC6 machine working. I'm still having problems
> with sound in Enemy Territory:
>
> ------- sound initialization -------
> /dev/dsp: Input/output error
> Could not mmap /dev/dsp
> ------------------------------------
>
> Where as xmms and LastFM work just fine!
>
> Thanks for suggestions!
>
> Przemek

I had this problem on FC5, but for some reason it didn't happen on FC6,
although I think I was using different hardware. Maybe it's a hardware
dependent issue.

On FC5, this was the solution:

As root, type:

echo "et.x86 0 0 direct" > /proc/asound/card0/pcm0p/oss

You could add this to your /etc/rc.local, like I did.

See:
http://usalug.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=87636&sid=eb3f5c61219d7957722752c8f9970390

HTH.

--
K.
http://slated.org - Slated, Rated & Blogged

.----
| "Future archaeologists will be able to identify a 'Vista Upgrade
| Layer' when they go through our landfill sites" - Sian Berry, the
| Green Party.
`----

Fedora Core release 5 (Bordeaux) on sky, running kernel 2.6.19-1.2288.fc5
 22:51:36 up 10:17,  2 users,  load average: 0.05, 0.05, 0.00