File Permissions

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Wed Feb 21 16:26:01 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-02-20 at 14:43 -0500, linuxmaillists at charter.net wrote:
> What is the proper method for setting up httpd on the local
> box to read files in a /home directory when the root
> directory for httpd is in /var/www/html I have not been
> able to figure this out so I gave up trying to figure it
> out.

If you mean for local users to each have their own webspaces, they use a
"public_html" subdirectory in their homespace.

e.g. /home/tim/public_html/

For each user to have their own spaces, look at the Apache manual for
the "userdir" directive, and go through your SELinux settings to allow
it.

You'll access their space by appending a ~ followed by their username,
onto the end of the website domain name (or IP address).

e.g.  http://www.example.com/~tim/
      http://192.168.1.2/~tim/

--
(This PC runs FC4, my others FC5 & FC6, in case that's important
 to the thread)

I read messages from the public lists.