Intel usb camera on FC6

Jeff G hjeffg at gmail.com
Wed Feb 21 22:42:13 UTC 2007

On 2/21/07, Nigel Henry <cave.dnb at tiscali.fr> wrote:
> On Wednesday 21 February 2007 23:00, Jeff G wrote:

> > [re-sending, left off the list]
> >
> > duh! - it was already installed.  That's why it was saying nothing to do.
> > I guess it doesn't support the camera after all, even though the doc
> > seemed to say it did.
> >
> > Upon further investigation, the sources say "for developers only"
> >
> > Thanks so much for the help.
> >
> > Jeff
>
> What does /sbin/lsusb show? Is the camera there?
>
> One app that I find works well with webcams, as long as they are detected is
> "Camstream".
>
> I can appreciate the frustration. there are similar problems on some sound
> cards, and TV tuner cards, etc.
>
> It may be worth trying a different webcam. The lifetec LT9388 using the ov511+
> driver, which I have, works ok. See what's available, and check them out
> before buying.
>
> Don't give up.
>
> Nigel.

Thanks for the tip on viewing the devices.  I was using the
System|Admin|Hardware app and found similar info.

The device shows up in lsusb as:

Bus 003 Device 002: ID 0733:0401 ViewQuest Technologies, Inc. CS330 WebCam

Thanks for the encouragement.  I'm not giving up, just will wait to
see if the "development only" version gets mainstreamed at some point.

Meanwhile, it's not urgent to get a webcam working, just though I
would try it out for fun.

Thanks again,

Jeff