grub squashed?

Tom Horsley tomhorsley at adelphia.net
Wed Feb 21 23:57:26 UTC 2007

I'm seeing a very strange corrupted boot sector, and it has now happened
twice (in several months).

My 32 bit boot partition was fine the last time I booted, but today, I
tried it and it prints the word GRUB on the screen, then proceeds to copy
the screen to the printer port over and over again (making me hasten to
remove the paper from the printer).

Has anyone ever seen this before? (This is the 2nd time for me on this
system). Copying stuff to the printer port seems like awfully complex
behavior for random corruption to account for :-).

Now I gotta go off and figure out how to reinstall grub again (I have
a procedure for reinstalling on the MBR, but this grub is just on the
partition's boot sector, so I guess there will be some differences
in the recovery procedures).