New install of FC6, httpd won't start at boot

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Thu Feb 22 01:41:47 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-02-21 at 13:03 -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
> I hate to wake up this old thread again, but I also have this problem
> and a search of my list archive doesn't seem to indicate a solution
> being offered.
>
> This was an install on a fresh disk when I installed FC6 in November
> 2006. httpd has never been able to start

With fresh installs, plus their own updates, on both FC5 and FC6, Apache
works for me.  But I don't use the GUI tool for configuring Apache, I've
never thought much of it, and I seem to recall someone mentioning it as
the culprit for some of the recent "Apache won't start" problems.

Others have had problems when they've updated between Fedora releases,
or have copied their Apache configuration files across, a few things
changed in Apache between releases.

> I've used smart to remove httpd and the mod_friends, including the
> service-config-http utility, and then re-install them.

Though, any custom configuration files would probably have been left on
your system, and re-used with subsequent installations.  Did you check
for that?

You could move the current configuration files out of the way, and
extract pristine ones from the RPM.

> After the re-install I had to run the system-config-http utility else
> it couldn't bind to address 0.0.0.0:80,

My original httpd.conf file has just the following in the "Listen"
section.  It worked out of the box.

#
# Listen: Allows you to bind Apache to specific IP addresses and/or
# ports, in addition to the default. See also the <VirtualHost>
# directive.
#
# Change this to Listen on specific IP addresses as shown below to
# prevent Apache from glomming onto all bound IP addresses (0.0.0.0)
#
#Listen 12.34.56.78:80
Listen 80

> This is what was re-installed by smart:
> [root at coyote conf]# rpm -qa |grep http
> httpd-2.2.3-5
> jakarta-commons-httpclient-3.0-7jpp.1
> system-config-httpd-1.3.3-1.1.1
> httpd-manual-2.2.3-5
>
> No idea where that jakarta stuff came from, but the grep caught it.

It's not something that I have installed.  You could try yum removing
it, and seeing what else tags along for the ride.

 important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.