ESR: Goodbye Fedora

Ric Moore wayward4now at gmail.com
Thu Feb 22 03:23:24 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-02-21 at 20:09 -0500, Kwan Lowe wrote:

> > Try converting winblows users to Fedora, but saying, oh but you cant
> play
> > mp3's out of the box...you can, but youll have to go toa unofficial
> > RH/Fedora repo and try install it, or do like I do and erase the
> players
> > RH bastardises, and grab the source and install it, now say that to
> > newbie and you've lost em!  First impression are ever lasting in
> this
> > game.
>
> Here too... MP3s are nice, but it's not something that is a
> show-stopper for me or
> anyone that I've helped with Linux. I.e., if MP3 playback is important
> enough then
> it's a relatively simple matter to install the software. A rough
> equivalent would be
> WinZIP. It doesn't ship with Windows, but is a quick install. Same for
> SSH clients,
> editors, Adobe Acrobat Reader, Flash/Shockwave, Quicktime, and a host
> of other
> proprietary codecs.

Maybe if a simple script was written to dnload every proprietary library
and util were put right in front of a newbie's nose, just before or
after the install was complete... AND it all worked, that would answer
the problem.

Call it "Media Whore" and by clicking on it you agree to install
"legal-iffy" software from a remote site in France. Everything pours in
to your machine, and the remote site in France does their best to have
everything work at once, so they save the day.

Toss in some fun homebrewed avi, mpeg, wmv, midi, mod, wave, flv, mp3
files for testing purposes, everyone gets a hoot and grins, the
experience is fun, everybody happy. Make it EASY, and REWARDING so that
you can show off your machine with your friends green with envy.

My own experience was to get LAUGHED by a fervent Windows user, because
xine fell apart while trying trying to show off what had worked just
fine. Guys and Gals, THAT sucked. Ole Eric got jerked because what
worked, became not-working. He might be a complete knee-biter, I don't
know him to judge him, but he's been a fervent and vocal supporter for
RH for like forever, and now he is not. That's bottom line kiddies. I
get irritated when I have to spend hours unraveling how something that
worked, and now doesn't.

There are tool-builders, who squeal with delight at the chance to spend
a weekend fixing shit, and tool-users who merely want to actually use
applications to do things. Tool builders contribute to Linux making and
fixing tool stuff that we all need. Tool-Users contribute to Linux using
those tools to produce output from the tools, whether they be
music/video files, webpages, text, financial statements, etc.

Both groups need each other in a symbiotic trusted relationship.
Evidently, Eric felt betrayed and lost trust. Maybe he's a half right or
completely right or completely wrong, I dunno. I'd give him half right,
out of the gate, with nary a quibble. Smart works pretty good, and that
is a step in the right direction. I'd like to see a better menu system
to it, but it's workable as it is. If he had it in his install, maybe he
wouldn't have had as many problems. Ric

http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/oar
http://www.wayward4now.net